Thursday, November 16, 2006

Fly away from Emirates : Aliadiere

Jeremie Aliadiere has every intention of showing Arsene Wenger he is not Arsenal's 'forgotten man'. The 23-year-old French striker has been with the Gunners since he was 16, yet has never commanded a regular place in Arsene Wenger's first team after suffering a number of injury setbacks. Aliadiere admits his disappointment that loan spells at Celtic and West Ham failed to work out, although he did enjoy more success at Wolves last season. The striker scored twice for Arsenal in the recent Carling Cup win over West Brom. However, his chances in the Premiership and Champions League have again been limited, with the likes of Robin van Persie, Emmanuel Adebayor and England starlet Theo Walcott all vying for a place alongside captain Thierry Henry in attack. While accepting he may have to consider his long-term future should regular first-team football not come his way at the Emirates Stadium, Aliadiere intends to do all he can to make Wenger pick him. 'It has been good to play for Arsenal in the first team again and score some goals,' the striker said. 'Any opportunity I get, I will do my best and try to show the boss I am ready to play more games. 'I want to impress the manager, because he is the one who can play me every week. The most important thing for me is to show him every day in training and with every opportunity on the pitch that I am ready to be in the squad more.' Aliadiere told Arsenal's website: 'When you have been injured and not been involved in the squad every weekend, it is difficult and sometimes it can feel like you have been forgotten by people at the club and the fans - but it does not really affect me. 'I am really focused on doing my best every time I go on the pitch.' Although clearly committed to the Gunners, Aliadiere fully understands his long-term career could lie elsewhere. He said: 'The fact I was offered and signed a new deal last season proved that the manager believes in me and thinks I still have a future at Arsenal. 'But that does not change that I am not playing enough and I obviously want to play more games. I have been here eight years, I always wanted to be here and love the club. 'It is nothing more than I want to play for Arsenal - but obviously I am 23 now, which is not young any more and I need to play every week for my career.' The striker added: 'I have always believed I could do it in the Premiership, no problem. 'If I start playing every week and keep training well then obviously I am going to be happy to be at Arsenal and do my best for the club. I am just going to wait and see.' Arsenal, meanwhile, will assess the fitness of Walcott after he suffered a hand injury late on in the England Under-21s victory over Holland last night. The Gunners are third in the Premiership following Sunday's win against Liverpool and will be looking to keep up the pressure on leaders Manchester United when struggling Newcastle come to the Emirates Stadium this weekend.

No comments: