Saturday, January 27, 2007

Wenger - I like Bale, but I won't bid for him

By Chris Harris

Arsène Wenger is a fan of Gareth Bale but he does not want to sign the Southampton left back.

Bale has been linked with a move to Emirates Stadium, a year after Theo Walcott made the same journey from the south coast. Wenger has kept his eye on the Wales international but believes that Arsenal are well-stocked in that department with Gael Clichy and Armand Traore both making steady progress.

"I think Bale is a potentially great player but I am not in the race because I have two left backs," said the Arsenal manager. "But the club who gets him will have a good deal - an expensive one but a good player.

"I have looked at Bale a lot. We have been looking at him because if he comes up for a normal price it's OK but we have already spent a lot for Theo Walcott. [If we bought Bale too] we would be the biggest sponsors of Southampton."

Arsenal.com

No comments: